Hello world!

Welcome to Teacher Spaces. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

9 Responses to “Hello world!”

1. Mr WordPress says:

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

2. Steve Barchie says:

This is a sad day at Tuscola. One of our freshmen, Jackson Mintz, was killed in a car accident yesterday. I had Jackson in my first period Algebra I class. He was a quiet and very pleasant young man. He was teachable, a joy to have in class. He will be sorely missed.

3. Steve Barchie says:

We are still struggling with the loss of Jackson. He was greatly loved by students and staff. Some hurting kids have taken offense at careless remarks made by others and started a fight yesterday. The administration has stepped in and they have done a great job handling the situation. We still need a lot of prayer. I was hoping for a snow day today to let things calm down. Maybe we will have a snow day tomorrow. Lord have mercy.

4. Steve Barchie says:

Here I am doing stuff around the classroom on a snow day. I got an email outlining the plan for making up snow days. An article in today’s Mountaineer covered the same information. Basically we have two more preplanned days we can use and then we will use Memorial Day followed by an extension of the school year further into June. The last option is to take away a portion of Spring Break. I posted the plan in my room. I tell the kids I would rather go to school now than in June.

5. Randi Neff says:

Thank you for being the blogging trail-blazer at Tuscola. We don’t really get time to talk during school hours, so it would be nice if this means of communication caught on. I’m sure parents appreciate being able to read what is going on at school.

6. Staff meeting was interesting yesterday. Mr. Heinz talked about a new teacher evaluation system. It makes sense but it will be much more involved and time consuming. It is reflective in nature and asks everyone to consider how we can improve. Constant improvement is the Malcolm Baldrige mantra from business.

I got a new teacher cadet today. Kate is a very nice young lady who is interested in teaching math. This will be good for her to be exposed to different styles and techniques in teaching. She will also help me by grading some homework papers and making some copies.

The new approach putting all Algebra students together has helped some students do better. I have some students who are working hard to succeed because they see others in class doing well. There will always be a few who don’t care and are a challenge to motivate. It would be a perfect world if everyone could pass.

7. Steve Barchie says:

We are facing some hard times and we are being called upon to help. As a result our paychecks are about to be a couple of hundred dollars less. We are supposed to have 10 hours of furlough in exchange to help balance the state budget. The deficit is 3 billion.

It seems like we could have negotiated a lower pay scale for next academic year and spread the pain over several months. After all we have until Dec 31 to come up with the savings. Just a thought.

Another thought is that since we have to take out a day and a half then we should not be held to a strict 180 days of school. This would save on utilities. If we allow teachers an extra annual leave day then we would still be paying utilities and substitutes.

It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out. We have to be willing to do our part in difficult times.

8. Steve Barchie says:

Well I guess the money has to be saved by the end of June and that it why it can’t be spread over several months. Since projections are not that good I suppose there will be pay rate issues for next year anyway.

It was neat to see the School Foundation make a $30,000 donation which saves one of the teacher positions for next year. Instead of losing 36 teachers we only lose 35. I guess that means if we could raise $1,050,000 we could save all of them. Saving teacher positions means smaller class sizes and better results. Pastor Nick Honerkamp from New Covenant Church is the current Foundation President. Good job!

9. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!